Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby PokerCrucible » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 am

Hello,

I am in the market for a new pc and am wondering what the ultimate Poker Tracker machine would look like? I am mostly thinking RAM, Drive access times and processor. I am a mac guy so this is a hard decision for me. I am interested in opinions. I have looked at the AMD chip and am wondering specifically if anyone thinks that is less of a chip then Intel. Thanks for your input.
PokerCrucible
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:17 am

I can't really comment on any specific hardware, especially for Mac, but as long as you have a decent processor your priority should be to get a big, fast hard disk (at least 7200 rpm, but we've had some good reports of 10k HDDs and especially SSDs) and plenty of RAM (4 or 8GB). If you can afford to get a second disk drive specifically for your PokerTracker data then that will really speed things up.

Of course, you only really need a super-powerful system if you're going to be importing many millions of hands – any decent new system will work well for small to medium-sized databases.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby PokerCrucible » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

Sorry for not clarifying, I am looking at a windows based machine. My db has over 9million hands in it, so I am not sure if it is large or not, but I know at times on my imac, it takes forever to query the statistics so I am hoping that by moving to a PC, I can speed things up a bit. If I click on the tournaments tab, it can take upwards of 5 or 6 minutes for the filtered data to show. I run the update cache every night on exit. Thanks for the help/thoughts
PokerCrucible
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby kraada » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Specifications on the hardware matter a lot more than what operating system you're using. One other thing though - you should also be vacuuming and analyzing your database regularly and if you haven't done that in a long time, it's definitely something that you'll want to be doing.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby PokerCrucible » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Yes, I do, do that, but it takes over 24 hours sometimes to finish it, which means my itch to play online is rather severe. I am thinking of just heading over to Fry's Electronics and building my own machine as I can't find a machine with 10k drives in it that is not a server. Thanks for all your input.
PokerCrucible
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby kraada » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 pm

RAM and hard drive speeds are going to be most of your bottleneck if your frustration is with cache update times.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby zubs1aa » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:34 pm

1) SSD and it's not even close.
2) Ram
3) Processor does matter. I had maxed ram and added SSD on an older machine. Went from a plain old P4 to a new quadcore and woosh like a rocket now.
zubs1aa
 
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby PokerCrucible » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 pm

So here is what I have now:

My Machine - Beastie
MB - Asus P8P67 LE
Chip - i7 - 2260 3.20ghz
RAM - 16gig - DDR3 1600mhz
HD - 2 120gig SSD Corsair
Vid - Asus HD 5770 1gig
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

I went over to Fry's and built it myself. It freak'n smokes.
PokerCrucible
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby zubs1aa » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 pm

PokerCrucible wrote:So here is what I have now:

My Machine - Beastie
MB - Asus P8P67 LE
Chip - i7 - 2260 3.20ghz
RAM - 16gig - DDR3 1600mhz
HD - 2 120gig SSD Corsair
Vid - Asus HD 5770 1gig
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

I went over to Fry's and built it myself. It freak'n smokes.


If PT doesn't run right on that setup, there is something seriously wrong :)
zubs1aa
 
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Ultimate Poker Tracker Machine

Postby tarix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm

PokerCrucible wrote:RAM - 16gig - DDR3 1600mhz


:o Jealous!

Make sure you also upgrade to a 64-bit version of Postgres 9.0. It helped a ton for me.
tarix
Developer
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Next

Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests