Page 1 of 1

migrate 8.2 to 8.3 on different PCs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:43 pm
by borat777
Just trying to work out the quickest (or more likely the simplest) way to move my existing PT3 database from my existing, but dying PC which is running 8.2 to my new PC with a clean install of PT3 and postgres 8.3?

I'm running the beta version of PT3 but obviously backup / restore does't work with 2 different versions of postgres.

Should I be upgrading the old PC to 8.3 and doing backup / restore through PT3? or exporting hands from 8.2 and then importing in 8.3 (although I think I had issues with an export from PT2 earlier on the old PC)? or just do a manual backup? or something else?

I will no longer be using PT3 on the old PC at all.

Existing database is about 250,000 hands.

Re: migrate 8.2 to 8.3 on different PCs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:33 am
by WhiteRider
The database backup/restore does work between major versions, and to update postgres to a new major version you need to do that.
I'm not sure whether the built-in backup mechanism in PT3 works correctly with 8.2, though, so you might need to do a manual backup using PGAdmin.
The Database / PostgreSQL FAQ will walk you through that if the PT3 mechanism doesn't work - I'd try PT3 first, though - if that works it is really easy.
Just do File > Backup on your old PC (you'll need to be running Beta 30.5 on both computers) then copy the backup file to your new computer and do File > Restore.