Page 1 of 1

Any way to migrate database from Windows to Mac??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:52 pm
by puppy6789
Hey,

This may be a stupid question but I have a rather LARGE database from my original Windows installation and I was wondering if there was any way you could back up your database from Windows and then restore it on a Mac?

When I tried to just do a standard backup and restore of the database itself, I received some errors regarding file locations, which I assume were contained in some sort of configuration file that it took from the original Windows configuration.

I know also that you can do an export and then re-import everything into the new database, but the Mac version keeps crashing during large imports and it makes it very difficult to actually do a large-scale import.

Any help you all can provide would be really great!

Re: Any way to migrate database from Windows to Mac??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:44 pm
by WhiteRider
You can backup and restore from PC to Mac using the built-in File > Backup mechanism, but for large databases you'll need to update to Beta 30.6 as there were issues with very large DBs in previous versions. Do not backup/restore your PokerTracker.cfg file as the settings are not the same on PC and Mac.

Re: Any way to migrate database from Windows to Mac??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 am
by puppy6789
Thanks alot for the directions on how to accomplish that. I wasn't aware of that being an option with the new version!

I do have another question though in regards to this process. I've attempted several times now to perform the backup function, but each time I keep getting an error on the database portion of the backup (after 45-60 minutes of course). My hard drive has about 95 gb open on it and the backup utility says that it needs about 75 gb to create the temporary files. Also, I'm directing the backup to a USB-attached drive (as it says that it should be about 40 gb in size).

Do you have any ideas as to why I keep getting errors on the backup function? I'm running a full housekeeping with re-indexing now in case that might be a potential problem.

Re: Any way to migrate database from Windows to Mac??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:54 am
by WhiteRider
What does the error say?
You could try creating the backup file on your main drive then copying it to your USB drive, although that really shouldn't make any difference.
If you can't get it to work please report your problem and we'll investigate.