Page 1 of 1
lost databases

Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm
by scpi10
I did a 1 step compact a database today. I closed down PT when it was done, then later I reopened it and I had a Fatal Error and 3 of my databases were gone.
Is there anyway to get these back or are they gone? If I start a new database will this happen again?
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:09 pm
by ptrack pat
What are the exact errors you are getting?
The compact only does one database so I don't know what you mean by 3 databases being lost.
Are you using Vista?
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:48 pm
by scpi10
Sorry I'll be more clear. I did a compact and it went fine. I closed PT down. Awhile later I went to open PT and it had an error when I opened it and 3 of my databases were missing.
And yes I am using Vista.
I don't know how to find the backups, if I find them I could import them again?
Edit: I found the backups of the hands so I'll just import them again. They're all losing databases so maybe I won't. :D
Edit2: I didn't read what the error said just that it was a fatal error, should I try to 1 step another database to try and replicate what happened?
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:05 pm
by ptrack pat
The only thing that would cause this is if you weren't running PT as administrator like you need to be or you were running it as admin then but aren't now.
Does Vista prompt you to cancel/allow PT to run when you first start it? It should.
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm
by scpi10
It's running as administrator. It hasn't ask to cancel/allow since I set it that way and I've had PT for over a year. Like I said I'll just import them again. I'm just worried that if I compact a database again it will delete it.
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:27 am
by ptrack pat
If it was setup to run as administrator Vista would be asking you to cancel/allow PT to run every time you started it (unless you turned off the UAC). Right-click on the PT2 desktop icon and select 'run as administator' from the popup menu. Does it prompt you now?
Re: lost databases

Posted:
Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm
by scpi10
uac is turned off. It opened normally when I right clicked it. PT has worked fine since.
It just deleted 3 databases. I had 7... did the compact... opened up PT... Fatal error... down to 4 remaining db.